Friday 13 February 2009

A.W.O.L ...

January 27th 2009 ... busy blogging and 365-ing and fitting too many things into the day and then ... Silence ...
Nada ...
Nothing ...
No calls ...
No messages ...
No word ...


365'er went A.W.O.L.

And I really have no excuse, but hopefully you'll forgive me and keep visiting!

Have I really been out of it for 17 days? Sorry about that, I guess I just didn't have much to say!

But I've continued my challenge and even spent a day down near Cheltenham, at a CRUK event called the World Cafe, promoting the 365challenge to supporters of the charity. It was a smaller event than maybe they had hoped for, but I still met some great people and generated some interest, so now I need to wait and see if those seeds take fruit!

Also been supporting Debbie and Jayne and Rob as they move their challenges forward too, so hopefully I'll have more to tell you about their adventures soon.

I think I can say that Rob seems to have hit on one
very unusual part to his challenge ... he's going to "single arm curl the weight of X gallons of cider in 12.5kg reps" (X to be determined still) ... but what the heck is all that about Rob? I'm guessing that you're not suggesting that a pint of Cider weighs 12.5 Kg, now, are you Rob? (Though that WOULD be a challenge that would get a lot more people interested, especially if you could only lower the "weight" empty!!)?

Speaking of lifting weights ... I decided that as I've been spending sooo much time in the gym, that I needed to do more than just the cardio-vascular work that makes up the challenge, so I asked Adam, one of the instructors there for a weights programme to give me some variety to my visits. Now, I thought I was fairly fit and using my muscles fairly regularly ... not so, as it happens ... I completed one full cuircuit of the programme the other day, and actually felt good after it ... but 2 days later, it hit me ... hard! Oh my GOD! How can your sternum ache, please tell me? And just about every other muscle in my torso. Putting my coat on was a challenge and raising my arm to get something off a shelf! Ouch!

There was only one solution ... back to the gym and repeat ... and I'm so pleased to report that I'm feeling human again and those complaining muscles are once again aware of their roles and happy with it. But what a shock ... you forget that even though you are "exercising", you are only using a limited set of muscles, and the rest will have their say if you give them half a chance!

Lesson learned. So now need to fit blooming weight training in regularly too. What am I like ... I thought my days were full enough, but obviously there's always room for a wafer-thin mint!

Or is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment